Sunday, March 18, 2012

BOARDS!!!

Holy Smokes!! That crazy two days is come and gone!!!! I can't believe that this week, the week of spring break second semester, is over!! I have been looking forward to/dreading this week for 2 whole years!!!

Anesthesia:
They were way ahead of time!!! Good thing my patient was flexible! I used my peer pal again since everything went well with mockboards and she was so willing. The examiners were so great! I really appreciated how chill and helpful they were! I did my PSA just fine, but the IA was a different story! I can't remember now which one I did first, it is a bit of a blur. Ok but this is how the IA went. "Site of penetration", "I see", "Proceed." Hit bone right off!! I told them I hit bone and was going to pull out and try again.... Second attempt..."Site of penetration", "I see", "Proceed." Hit bone right off!! AGAIN!!! Now I am nervous. The sweet examiner lady says, remember you have 3 tries to get in. And tells me that I can set the syringe down and take a break for a minute. I totally took that advice! I recapped, shook off all the nerves, and right as I was about to pick up the syringe again... Dr. Hansen's voice jumped in my head saying, "if you hit bone on the IA, go higher!" So go higher I did and bingo it went in! ha ha the word "bingo" actually escaped my lips while penetrating. ha ha ha. PASS!!!

Dental Hygiene Clinical:
Holy smokes! Talk about a nervous girl! The first time I stuck the explorer in my patient's mouth I was shaking like crazy!!! I don't want to narrate the whole thing cause that will take me forever. Instead I will give suggestions for future dental hygiene students that I learned while doing it.

  • Don't stress about check in! The CE is so helpful and will get you all figured out.
  • Probing took me forever! Save at least a half hour to do probing, recession, and to get your patient back to the desk.
  • Don't pick a patient that has mal-postioned teeth. That was very difficult for me.
  • Keep tabs on the clock.
  • Have a plan of how you are going to clean.
  • Don't have your patient come an hour early or else you will be staring at each other for 55 minutes waiting for it to be your turn. Embarrassing!

No comments:

Post a Comment